Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Simple Crisp

It seemed like such a good idea at the time... chasing my 7-year-old home from school on a warm afternoon, fresh snowball in hand, ready for launching... and then all of a sudden, I was on the ground, sopping wet, and my left wrist hurt.

A few hours later, after seeing that my wrist was not broken and receiving a tetanus shot for the scrape on my hand (it had been 12 years since my last one), I was on my way home again. A week later, and I'm feeling much better!


For some reason, whenever I make an Apple Crisp, my five-year-old always calls it a 'Crusp'. His favourite part is obviously the 'crust' or 'crisp' on top.
The other night for dinner, I was only heating up leftovers and decided I had time, ability, AND ingredients to make a 'Crusp'.  Here's how it went down...


Recipe: Apple Berry Crisp

Ingredients:
FOR THE FRUIT
3 apples, cored and diced
1 cup raspberries (can be frozen)
1 cup blueberries (can be frozen)
2 tbsp flour
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup brown sugar

FOR THE CRISP
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup flour
2-3 cups quick oats


Method:
> mix together all the fruit ingredients and dump them into a lined or greased pan
> for the crisp, cream together the butter and sugar before adding in the rest and mixing them all together, then pour the crisp on top, being sure to even out the layer

> makes a shallow crisp in a 9x13 pan
> bake at 180ºC (350ºF) for about 30 minutes until bubbly and golden
> if your crisp is not turning golden, broil on high for 2 minutes

Serve with whipped cream, ice cream, or a large glass of cold milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment