Thursday, August 18, 2011

Grandma's Chocolate Chip Cookies

WARNING:

Highly addictive chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipe follows. Use with extreme caution.

In combination with a tall glass of cold milk or a bowl of vanilla ice cream considered delicious and worthy of consumption until the cookies are all gone.

Consider yourself warned.

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Now and again, I really miss my Grandmother. She would have us over for dinner and sleep-overs and make the best cream of wheat for breakfast in the morning.

And she made the best chocolate chip cookies ever.

The recipe is not some big secret - you could make my Grandma's cookies too. The recipe is on the back of every bag of Chipits brand chocolate chips sold.


Yesterday, I wanted a fail-proof recipe for great cookies. Cookies I could not mess up. But I wanted them to be chocolate cookies. And so the recipe tweaking (on the fly, for a group of 22 friends and family) began.

I followed the recipe above, except I left out the white sugar. And I figured it had been a long time since I had actually made these, so I would leave the rest of the sugar-lessening to another day.

I decided these should be CHOCOLATE chocolate chip cookies, so I added 1/4 cup of cocoa to the flour mixture. This made the batter dryer, so I added 2 tbsp (1/8 cup) of water at the end of the process to (hopefully) balance it all out.


I then dropped them by the tablespoon-full onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, flattened them a little, and baked them for 9-10 minutes at 190ºC (375ºF).

They turned out to be the softest cookies I think I have ever made! The addition of that little bit of water at the end turned them a little cakey and they were soft and moist and AMAZING!!! The astounding part is how simple they were to make and that my little tiny changes made such a huge impact on the overall outcome of the cookies.


They were so incredible that my niece actually made me an award - diploma of the best cookies EVER!! That certainly made me feel like a superstar!


Now that this has all been shared, it's time for me to bag up some of the remaining cookies (astoundingly, we did not eat them all!!) and deliver them to my husband at work. I promised two of my friends I would send cookies today and <gasp> I slept in and forgot!!

You too can be the hero of your cookie needs. Only a few ingredients and a little bit of mixing and baking stand between you and the best cookies ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment